Homemade Almond Butter
Following the recent 30th birthday present of a Magimix, everything in our house has been blended. We usually opt for savoury tastes but I thought it might be an idea to stray away from the usual hummus and soups and go sweet...!
This recipe can be adapted to use any nuts you desire and the oil can also be substituted.
In terms which blender, it needs to be pretty heavy duty but any brand will do.
250g Almonds - Raw
1-2 Tablespoons Oil (coconut or vegetable or similar)
Pinch of Salt
1 Teaspoon Honey (Optional)
1. Soak the nuts in water for around 4-6hrs, they should swell a little.
2. Drain and spread them on a baking tray, place in a pre-heated oven at 180°C and roast for 10-15 mins, give them a shake half way then turn the oven off completely, leave them in the oven allowing them to dry out in the residual heat for a few hours or overnight.
3. Add the nuts to food processor blend until it resembles a wet sand-like consistency. It should start to clump together in the bowl. This may take a while, depending on the power of your blender. Mine took around 10 mins, stopping every minute or so to push the mixture down into the bowl.
4. Add a half the oil and blend for another 1-2 minutes, then add the rest of the oil in small amounts blending in between until it reaches your desired consistency.
5. Add the salt to taste and honey if you prefer it more sweet.
6. Transfer to a sterile jar and enjoy!